2 BARNS AND LINKING LOWER BUILDING, 70 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF GRAVELEY HALL FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1102523

Date first listed: 11-Feb-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 28-May-1987

Statutory Address: 2 BARNS AND LINKING LOWER BUILDING, 70 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF GRAVELEY HALL FARMHOUSE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 2 BARNS AND LINKING LOWER BUILDING, 70 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF GRAVELEY HALL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102523 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 14:49:51.

Location

Statutory Address: 2 BARNS AND LINKING LOWER BUILDING, 70 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF GRAVELEY HALL FARMHOUSE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Graveley

National Grid Reference: TL 23456 28064

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRAVELEY CHURCH LANE TL 2327 (North side)

12/6 2 Barns and linking lower building, 11.2.74 70M to SE of Graveley Hall Farmhouse (formerly listed as Two Barns to south of Graveley Hall Farmhouse)

GV II

2 barns and linking lower building. Eastern barn C16, W barn stylistically C17 but dated 1717, C19 linking building. Timber frame on tarred brick sill, dark weatherboarded with steep pitched roofs, now slated but W barn corrugated aluminium. A tall 3-bays barn on the left of the gateway to the yard in front of the house, a tall 5-bays barn a little to the NW, and a low open-fronted building linking the two. All face N. The C16 barn has central double doors, a high single door at rear of middle bay, low external lean-to at W end, jowled posts, mid-height rail, clasped-purlin roof with 2 purlins in each slope, the upper clasped by collars, the lower on inclined straight queen-posts with enlarged heads. Long straight tension braces in walls and edge-halved scarf joints with bridled butts, in wallplates. Larger barn has inscription on post facing central threshing bay 'JOHN/CHAKLY/MAY.I/ 1717' and 'JC 1717' carved on the tie-beam. Small rear outshut to central bay. Jowled posts, mid-height rails, straight tension braces above the rail, long straight braces to tie-beams, clasped-purlin roof, upper purlin clasped by collars, lower clasped by inclined heavy straight queen-posts. Called the 'Pig Barn'. Face-halved bladed scarf joints.

Listing NGR: TL2345628064

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162619

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing