GRAVELEY BURY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1102529

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1952

Statutory Address: GRAVELEY BURY, 1 AND 2, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRAVELEY BURY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102529 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 16:33:26.

Location

Statutory Address: GRAVELEY BURY, 1 AND 2, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Graveley

National Grid Reference: TL 23441 27944

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRAVELEY CHURCH LANE TL 2327 (South side)

13/12 Graveley Bury 9.6.52 Nos. 1, and 2

GV II

Farmhouse, now 2 houses. C17 or earlier. Timber frame roughcast, with steep pitched old red tile roofs. Half-hipped W rear end of S wing. A 2-storeys, H-plan house with hall range slightly higher than wings, facing E. Large rearwall chimney projects from N part of hall range, 2½ bays N parlour wing projects to front and rear, has a narrow stair bay at rear and large external lateral chimney on N wall. Large similar chimney on S wall of S wing which is presumably a service wing, projecting to front and rear. S part of hall range has inserted internal chimney backing onto S wing and staircase at rear. This is presumably an enlargement of the cross-passage. E front has 2 windows to each floor of hall range, central entrance, a window to each floor of each wing, and a separate door into the S wing on the right of the window. This wing now forms No. 2. Flush casement windows of 2- and 3-lights to 1st floor and to ground floor of S wing. Sash windows with small panes to ground floor with external shutters. Triple sashes to right of centre, 6/6 panes on left of entrance. 4-panels flush-beaded door in heavy frame with flat hood on shaped brackets. Door to No. 2 a plank door. Interior has clasped-purlin roof, jowled posts, close studding, 2-light ovolo-moulded blocked small windows flanking the C18 3-light leaded casement to the chamber over the hall. Axial beams to hall range and parlour wing, chamfered with hollow stops. Tumbled brick offsets to projecting hall chimney. Remains of panelled pargetting. (RCHM (1911)93: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2344127944

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162625

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing