This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1102559

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Reed

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162600

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REED CHURCH LANE TL 33 NE (East side) Reed 3/143 Church of St. Mary 27.5.68 - I

Parish church. Early C11. Chancel rebuilt mid C14. Tower of C13 or C14 raised with other alterations in C15. Restored with S porch added 1863-4 by Slater. Coursed flint rubble with Barnack stone and clunch dressings. Red brick repair. Some cement rendering. Tiled roofs. Small rectangular nave with narrower, shorter and lower chancel, W tower, S porch. Nave has original long and short quoins flush with walling at all 4 angles, splayed at base but not continued as a base-course except from W angles where a second higher splay also continues as a plinth onto tower. To N on nave a blocked doorway of C11 or early C12: crudely executed round arched surround, broadly roll moulded outer face to inner archivolt, clunch tympanum, continuous splayed abaci, inner shafted jambs with incised voluted capitals, square cut outer order. Flanking restored C15 2 light windows, rectilinear tracery in square heads with hollow moulded surrounds. C19 stone course projects to close eaves. Nave to S has 2 C19 windows copying those to N, C19 S porch has a pointed arch with shafted jambs, 2 stage diagonal buttresses, coped gable parapet, 2 light windows with square heads in returns. Inner entrance is a C14 pointed arch, double wave moulded, hood mould with foliate stops, to right a semi-octagonal stoup, an early plank door with iron strap hinges and lock plate. Chancel: cement rendered E end with a restored 5 light pointed arched window with reticulated tracery. 2 stage diagonal buttresses. Chancel N and S C14 2 light windows towards nave with foiled and cusped pointed heads, restored to N and remade to S in C19. Brick courses to sprocket eaves. Ridge crosses on E gables of chancel and nave. Gable end parapet on nave to W. Tower of 3 stages is unbuttressed and quoined. Raised plinth, string courses separate stages. To W are traces of a blocked doorway with a pointed arched head, above in lower stage is a restored 2 light window as in chancel N and S walls. Louvred lancets in second stage to S and to all sides in belfry, chamfered brick and stone surrounds. Parapet is embattled to all sides but E with much red brick repair. Weathervane finial. Interior: C15 pointed tower arch, 2 chamfered orders dying into jambs. C19 chancel arch of 2 wave moulded orders, shafted responds. C19 roofs: 4 bays in nave with arched braces from short colonnettes on corbels, chancel has a ceiled 7 sided vault. At NE angle of nave are steps formerly to rood loft. In N jamb of tower arch a C14 recess with an outer ogee arch. Font has a C15 octagonal bowl with carved rosettes and shields on splayed lower faces, C20 square panelled stem. Early C17 communion table with bulbous turned legs. On SW wall of nave a lead memorial with a low relief allegorical figure, to T. Cherry, Church Warden, and W. Mowbray, Plumber, 1807. (East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions, vol.2, part 3, 1904, p.261: RCHM 1910: VCH 1914: H.M. Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture, 1965: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL3613235748

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965)
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, , Vol. 2, (1904), 261
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 36132 35748

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102559 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 09:51:17.

End of official listing