MANOR FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1102563

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 28-May-1987

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102563 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 03:53:14.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Graveley

National Grid Reference: TL 24700 27954

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRAVELEY CHESFIELD TL 22 NW 4/1 Manor Farmhouse 27.5.68 (formerly listed as Chesfield Manor Farmhouse)

GV II

Manor house, now a farmhouse. C17, part demolished and remainder converted to a farmhouse in c.1770s, renovated and rear extensions C19. W wing timber frame, now with roughcast on 1st floor on N and E, exposed timbers on W side with brick infill, red brick ground floor casing on S and SW to match red brick of south wing. Steep old red tile hipped roofs. A 2-storeys and attics house facing S with a long 2-storeys W wing joined to its NW corner and linked only by a single-storey lean-to. The S wing has a 2-rooms, end chimneys, single-room-depth plan with an older very large projecting rearwall chimney to the W room and a large rear stair tower adjoining it on E. Entrance now by a gabled C19 low porch in the NW angle of the stair tower and the S wing. W wing has a large internal chimney a third from the N end a 3-cells plan later adapted to service rooms. S front has 2 windows to each floor. 3-lights casement windows on ground floor, 2-lights on 1st floor, and segmental arched heads on both floors. Sash windows to E end, stair tower, and C19 extension at rear. Near S end of W side of W wing is a 5-lights original moulded oak mullioned window on the ground floor. 3 tall diagonal shafts to rearwall chimney of S wing. Interior of W room of this wing said to have oak panelling. Stair of dog-leg plan, oak with square newels, moulded caps, and turned balusters. (RCHM (1911)93: VCH (1912)86: Pevsner (1977)149: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2470027954

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162614

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 86
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 149
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing