MILESTONE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1102571

Date first listed: 29-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: MILESTONE, CAMBRIDGE ROAD (B1368)

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILESTONE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102571 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 05:13:05.

Location

Statutory Address: MILESTONE, CAMBRIDGE ROAD (B1368)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Barley

National Grid Reference: TL 40169 39829

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARLEY CAMBRIDGE ROAD (B1368) TL 4017 3983 (West side) 4/69 Milestone (formerly listed 29.5.69 as Milestone [No. 13] on the Barkway to Cambridge Road B.1368)

- II

One of the 16 milestones on the old road from Cambridge to London set up by W. Warren in 1728-32 under the bequest in 1586 of Dr. W. Mowse, Master of Trinity Hall, Cambridge 1552-3 for the upkeep of roads in and about Cambridge. This, the 13th milestone, is a white freestone pillar about lm high, square with chamfered corners and a rounded pyramidal cap. On upper part of front face is an iron plate with a segmental head, affixed c.1864 possibly to design of McAdam for the Wadesmill Turnpike Trust. This reads 'LONDON 38/BARKWAY 3/CAMBRIDGE 13'. Below part of original inscription remains visible 'MILES TO CAMBRIDGE' incised with a low relief pointing hand and date 1732 in Roman numerals. (W.B. Johnson, Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, 1970, p.110-11).

Listing NGR: TL4016939829

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162523

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 110-111

End of official listing