THE CAGE OR LOCK-UP

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1102583
Date first listed:
27-May-1968
Statutory Address:
THE CAGE OR LOCK-UP, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CAGE OR LOCK-UP
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102583.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 14:47:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CAGE OR LOCK-UP, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Barley
National Grid Reference:
TL 39941 38371

Details

BARLEY LONDON ROAD TL 3938 (South side) Barley

7/101 The Cage or Lock-up 27.5.68

GV II

Former village lock-up. C17, restored c.1970. Timber frame. Pyramidal slate roof. Approximately cubic. Close studded plank and muntin frame with 8 studs to each side. Door to front was originally open behind studding, now horizontally boarded. Iron strap hinges. Timber finial. Scheduled Ancient Monument. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1914: Hertfordshire Archaeology, vol.2, 1970, p.113: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TL3994138371

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
162557
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Hertfordshire Archaeology' in Hertfordshire Archaeology, , Vol. 2, (1970), 113
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13775/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].