NUMBER 14 AND PARISH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1102600
Date first listed:
03-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
NUMBER 14 AND PARISH HALL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 14 AND PARISH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102600 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 03:55:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBER 14 AND PARISH HALL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Barkway
National Grid Reference:
TL 38468 35886

Details

BARKWAY HIGH STREET TL 3835 (West side) Barkway

9/39 No. 14, and Parish Hall

GV II

House and attached parish hall, former reading room. House is late C17, altered C19 and C20. Timber frame, rendered with panelled pargetting. Thatched roof. 2 cells. 1 storey and attic. Central entrance with steps and iron railings up to 6 raised panelled C18 door with date 1692 on lintel. Plinth. 3 light flush moulded frame small pane casements. 2 tall gabled 2 light dormers. Left end external stack rebuilt in C19 with 2 diagonally set shafts. Originally external on right end is a similar larger stack with 3 diagonally set shafts. Appearing as a cross wing to right is former reading room of c.1870. Given by the Hon. Mrs. V. Harcourt. Red brick with black brick diapering. Slate roof. Gable front: plinth, 8 lattice light mullion and transom casement, hood mould, quoining, bargeboards. Right return has entrance towards front, plank door in a gabled porch with an outer depressed gauged brick arch, towards rear a 4 light mullioned casement with hood mould. Interior: No. 14 has stop chamfered cross axial bearers, ovolo moulded axial bearer. Jowled posts to clasped purlin roof. C20 additions to rear not of special interest.

Listing NGR: TL3846835886

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
162493
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02808/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr L.W. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].