Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1102608

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: SANDON BURY, SANDON, SG9 0QY


Ordnance survey map of SANDON BURY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102608 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 22:58:06.


Statutory Address: SANDON BURY, SANDON, SG9 0QY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Sandon

National Grid Reference: TL3224934486


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 33 SW 7/92

SANDON Sandon Bury (formerly listed as Sandon Bury Farmhouse)


GV II* Large house. 1661 for J. Nicholas. Raised, extended and altered in early C19. Flemish bond red brick. Steeply pitched hipped slate roof.

Five bays, double depth. Two storeys and attic, front raised to three storeys. Entrance moved from centre one bay to right: four fielded panelled door, rectangular fanlight, moulded surround, ground floor tall glazing bar sashes, all in shallow reveals with gauged brick flat arched heads. Plinth. Plat band to first floor which has smaller sashes and a Sun Fire Insurance Marker. Later attic has small six light flush frame sashes. Panelled and bracketed eaves soffit. Four end stacks. Attached to right and set back slightly is lower two bay addition replacing a C15 wing.

Ground floor large French windows with a slightly cambered gauged brick head. First floor two sashes as on main block, roof hipped to right. Left end: continuing plinth, plat bands, two first floor sashes and an attic sash in rear gable which has a half hip. C19 lean-to outshut to left front with an entrance and a sash. C19 gabled brick porch to rear left, vertically panelled door with lean-to attached to right of porch. Right end: half hip to rear block which has an entrance with a bracketed hood, ground floor two light casement, first floor small sash, two plat bands. C19 block has an extruded stack to rear with twin flues. To rear: ground floor flush frame 16 pane sashes, gauged brick flat arched heads, left bay blocked, first floor similar sashes, central window is fixed, that to right of centre is fixed with early diamond leaded panes.

Interior: early C19 stair with twisting moulded handrail inserted in bolection. moulded panelled parlour. Original dog-leg stair to rear with column-on-vase balusters, heavy square newels, moulded handrail.

(VCH 1910: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3224934486


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162415

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

End of official listing