This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ELM HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ELM HOUSE

List entry Number: 1102622

Location

ELM HOUSE, WELL HEAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Therfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162452

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THERFIELD WELL HEAD TL 3337 (North side) Therfield 9/129 Elm House 9.6.52 II House. Early C16, altered and extended early C18, altered C19 and C20. Timber frame, largely rendered with some weatherboarding and brick casing. Tiled roofs with some slate. Original 5 window lobby entry range with parallel later 4 window range to rear. All 2 storeys. Original range now faces garden. Central entrance, 3 light small pane flush frame casements, ground floor right small bay window, above entrance a single light casement. Coved eaves. Central on ridge a large original stack with raised cap. Right end extruded stack. Left end weatherboarded first floor. Taller later block is now entrance front. Ground floor: wide projecting C20 porch to centre, panelled door in pedimented doorcase with side lights. Flush frame tripartite sashes in outer bays. First floor: 2 glazing bar sashes to centre, outer tripartite sashes, dentilled eaves. Slate to front only of steeply pitched roof. End stacks. Left end: C19 brick cladding around originally extruded stack with tumbled in brick offsets. Right end which does not extend as far as earlier range, has first floor weatherboarding, extruded stack, ground floor lean-to outshut with pantiles. Interior: ground floor moulded binding beams, panelled dining room with dentilled cornice, two 4 centred arched fireplaces on first floor. (RCHM 1910).

Listing NGR: TL3351037289

Selected Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 33510 37289

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102622 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 12:46:56.

End of official listing