MILESTONE ON CIVIL PARISH BOUNDARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1102623
Date first listed:
03-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
MILESTONE ON CIVIL PARISH BOUNDARY, CAMBRIDGE ROAD (B1368)

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILESTONE ON CIVIL PARISH BOUNDARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102623 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2019 at 23:51:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILESTONE ON CIVIL PARISH BOUNDARY, CAMBRIDGE ROAD (B1368)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Barley
National Grid Reference:
TL 39310 36971

Details

BARKWAY CAMBRIDGE ROAD (B1368) TL 3931 3696 (West side)

3/1 Milestone on Civil Parish Boundary

- II

Part in Barley Civil Parish (q.v.). One of the 16 milestones on the old road from Cambridge to London set up by W.Warren in 1728-32 under the bequest in 1586 of Dr. W. Mowse, Master of Trinity Hall, Cambridge 1552-3 for the upkeep of roads in and about Cambridge. A freestone pillar about a half metre high, part buried, square. To front is an iron plate with a segmental head, affixed c.1804 possibly to design of McAdam for the Wadesmill Turnpike trust. This reads 'LONDON 36/BARKWAY 1/ CAMBRIDGE 15'. (W.B. Johnson, Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, 1970, p.110-11).

Listing NGR: TL3931036971

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
162455
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 110-111

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/13622/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].