THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1102652

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102652 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 14:49:37.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Kelshall

National Grid Reference: TL 32900 36236

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 33 NW 4/3

KELSHALL CHURCH END (Northwest side) Kelshall The Old Rectory

27.5.68

GV II

Large house. 1691 for T. Wren. Front block rebuilt c.1790 for Rev. Waddington. Altered and extended in C19. Brick with some timber framing to rear, all stuccoed. Slate and tiled double mansard roof. 5 bays, double depth. 2 storeys and attics. Central entrance with 4 panelled architraved door, rectangular fanlight with ellipse tracery. Small timber Tuscan porch. Flush frame sashes with moulded frames. 4 red brick extruded end stacks. Slate to front pitch of roof only. Left return has 2 ground floor sashes, a first floor sash to rear with glazing bars, horizontal sliding sash and a casement window in attic. To rear: scattered glazing bar sashes, ground floor right tripartite 2 dormer windows with horizontal sliding sashes, entrance to right of centre. Right return: a casement window in front attic. Stack to rear range is largest, serving kitchen, originally external now on ridge of lower 2 storey C18 dairy, red brick with blind openings, dentilled eaves, extended by 1 bay to right in C19 with a lower roof. Gable end has 2 ground floor 2 light casements with cambered heads and a first floor horizontal sash, a further C19 range projects to rear with entrances and a horizontal sliding sash. Interior: round arch from entrance hall to late C18 dog-leg stair with moulded handrail. Panelled doors, simple cornices. In rear block a stop chamfered binding beam and large fireplace. Sir J. Soane is known to have made plans for a remodelling of Kelshall Rectory and these served as the basis for the late C18 work. (RCHM Typescript: Pevsner 1977).



Listing NGR: TL3290036236

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162326

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

End of official listing