WINDMILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1102667
Date first listed:
27-May-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
WINDMILL HOUSE, RUSHDEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of WINDMILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102667.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 00:25:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
WINDMILL HOUSE, RUSHDEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Rushden
National Grid Reference:
TL 30474 31556

Details

RUSHDEN RUSHDEN TL 3031 (Northwest side) 10/36 Windmill House 27.5.68 (formerly listed as Windmill Farmhouse, Church End) GV II House, formerly Post Office and dwelling. Late C15 or C16, hall floored and heated late C17, c.1800 divided to form 2 dwellings, extended C20. Timber frame, rendered. Thatched roof with some tiles. 2 bay hall with cross wing to left. 1 storey and attic with 2 storey cross wing. Entrance at lower end of hall with a plank and muntin door with a thatched hood on timber posts. Secondary date 'T 1730' in plaster over entrance. Single leaded light in service bay to right. 3 light flush frame casement to left, 3 light attic window with eyebrow thatching. Axial red brick ridge stack inserted at lower end of hall. Jettied cross wing to left has a plank and muntin door, 2 and 3 light casements with leaded panes on ground floor, curved bracket to right end of jetty. First floor pargetted with diamond patterning, a 2 light casement, exposed plates, and purlins. Tiles on right slope of wing and at left end of hall roof. Catslide roof over lean-to addition to left end of cross wing. Cross wing has a hipped roof to rear. Lean-to addition to rear of hall range. To right a C20 1 storey link to a C20 wing with a gable front, tiled roofs. (RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3047431556

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
162359
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13775/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].