CLOTHALL BURY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1102701
Date first listed:
19-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
CLOTHALL BURY, A507
Statutory Address:
CLOTHALL BURY, CLOTHALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLOTHALL BURY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102701 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 07:59:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CLOTHALL BURY, A507
Statutory Address:
CLOTHALL BURY, CLOTHALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Clothall
National Grid Reference:
TL 27936 32070

Details

TL 23 SE CLOTHALL CLOTHALL ROAD (A507) (North east side) Clothall 6/89 Clothall Bury - GV II

Farmhouse, once manor house. C15 hall house, altered and extended mid C17 and 1868. Timber frame. Roughcast walls. Plain tile roof. 2 storeys. Long range of 5 bays. The front has 6 c.1868 sash windows with vertical glazing bars. 2-window parallel extension on left end with sawtooth red brick eaves. Towards right is a gable ended porch extension with similar eaves; both these extensions 1868. The far right gable-ended bay is a mid-C17 cross-wing addition. To left of this, behind the porch, is a C15 cross wing to main hall, but built as an open hall with a crown post roof exposed in upper room. Smoke blackened timbers. Evidence of C17 extension on porch side. To left of porch is the hall proper. Externally it shows an eaves gabled dormer. Internally it has an unusual upper-cruck roof of 2 narrow blades forming a depressed arch. C18 partition and fireplace. Mid C17 inserted floor beam. The bay to left has higher roof line. Large tie beam exposed, but no smoke-blackening. Probably built as 2 storeys. Beyond is a further bay of lighter framing. This may be a C18 addition.

Listing NGR: TL2793632070

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
162244
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].