LYCH GATE TO ST LEONARD'S CHURCH INCLUDING FLANKING WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1102872
Date first listed:
27-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
LYCH GATE TO ST LEONARD'S CHURCH INCLUDING FLANKING WALLS, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of LYCH GATE TO ST LEONARD'S CHURCH INCLUDING FLANKING WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102872 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 22:59:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
LYCH GATE TO ST LEONARD'S CHURCH INCLUDING FLANKING WALLS, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
St. Albans (District Authority)
Parish:
Sandridge
National Grid Reference:
TL1709410553

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 18/10/2016

TL 11 SE 6/352

SANDRIDGE, CHURCH END (north side), Lych Gate to St Leonard's Church including flanking walls

GV

II

Lych Gate. Built 1920, dedicated as a war memorial 1921. Red brick lower walls. Open timbered upper part and plain tile open gabled roof. The timber walls have 4 open bays each side, each with small arched braces to wall plate. The roof has panelled under side and cusped bargeboards. West tie beam has Gothic lettered inscription: 'Through the Grave and Gate of Death we pass to our joyful Resurrection'. Walls have square end piers and continue for 10 metres each side.

Listing NGR: TL1709610555

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 12 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163896
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 12 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/109200
War Memorials Register, accessed 12 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/14649

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00309/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Fletcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].