GORHAMBURY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1102915
Date first listed:
19-Oct-1953
Statutory Address:
GORHAMBURY, BLUEHOUSE HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GORHAMBURY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102915 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jun-2019 at 00:21:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
GORHAMBURY, BLUEHOUSE HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
St. Albans (District Authority)
Parish:
St. Michael
National Grid Reference:
TL 11374 07850

Details

TL 10 NW ST MICHAEL BLUEHOUSE HILL (off) (north west side)

9/255 Gorhambury 19.10.53

GV II*

Country house. Begun 1777-84 for the third Viscount Grimston by Sir Robert Taylor. Refaced in Portland stone 1957-67. Originally the house had low wings connecting the main building with side blocks. The low N wing was replaced by a stuccoed 3- storeyed block in 1816-17, the outer N block by a more substantial one in 1826 (W Atkinson). In the same year the S wing and block were demolished . Main block is 2 storeys over basement. Deep hexastyle Corinthian portico with paired outer columns, the rear wall pilastered. 3 sash windows each side with moulded frames, those of ground floor with cornices. Rusticated basement and podium. Long flight of steps to portico. Central double door with shell motif in arch tympanum. Rear elevation with three-quarter column hexastyle portico. N wing is 3 windows with similar detail. N block is 1:3:1 sash windows, the centre 3 projecting.

Interior: Large cube central hall modelled on Queen's House with high bracketed balcony. S wall with stained glass windows and good marble fireplace taken from Old Gorhambury. Yellow drawing room in SW has a richly carved fireplace by Piranesi: white marble with figured red marble panels and medallions. Another Piranesi fireplace in library. Good oval staircase hall on N side with cantilevered spiral stairs and glazed dome. Important collection of family portraits. (C.L. 25.11.33, Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL1137407850

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163797
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].