This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STATUE GROUP IN CIRCULAR GARDEN 200 METRES WEST OF ROTHAMSTED MANOR HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STATUE GROUP IN CIRCULAR GARDEN 200 METRES WEST OF ROTHAMSTED MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1102966

Location

STATUE GROUP IN CIRCULAR GARDEN 200 METRES WEST OF ROTHAMSTED MANOR HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Harpenden Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 163621

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/01/2013

TL 11 SW 5/87

HARPENDEN RURAL HATCHING GREEN (west side) Statue group in circular garden 200 metres W of Rothamsted Manor House.

GV II

Garden statue. 1908 by Sir Charles Lawes - Wittewronge, then the owner of Rothamsted Manor. Monumental group sculpture based on the Farnese Bull. Hellenistic style. White marble. Entitled the Death of Dirce it stands about 5 metres high with an oval plinth. Three figures are in dramatic struggle with a bull, their names inscribed in Greek on a rocky base strewn with armour. Dirke is a captive semi-nude figure on the back of the bull; Zithos attacks the bull with a hooked pike while Amphion wrestles with it from below with a rope. The plinth is about one and a half metres high and has a moulded base. It was exhibited in Rome in 1911. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL1233213104

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TL 12332 13104

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102966 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2017 at 02:34:46.

End of official listing