RAILWAY BRIDGE OVER SOUTHDOWN ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103004
Date first listed:
27-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
RAILWAY BRIDGE OVER SOUTHDOWN ROAD, SOUTHDOWN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RAILWAY BRIDGE OVER SOUTHDOWN ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103004 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 07:59:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
RAILWAY BRIDGE OVER SOUTHDOWN ROAD, SOUTHDOWN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
St. Albans (District Authority)
Parish:
Harpenden
National Grid Reference:
TL 14100 13442

Details

TL 11 SW HARPENDEN SOUTHDOWN ROAD HARPENDEN

5/78 Railway bridge over Southdown Road

II

Railway bridge. Circa 1865 by Liddell and Barlow. Extended on W side circa 1880, when the London-Midland track was made quadruple. Cambridge blue brick. The E side has stone dressings. The W side is mostly in dark red stock brick. Semicircular tunnel arch crossing the road at a steep angle, giving the arch the appearance of a parabola. The elevations have 1 and 2 broad plain piers, left and right of the arch. Deep parapet. The E side has a stone roll moulding round the arch and T-shaped stone modillions in the stepped brick band below the parapet. On the E side the blue and stock bricks are indiscriminately mixed and the piers of the parapet have brick modillions. The tunnel arch comprises 18 square sections set diagonally and overlapping each other in a criss-cross, stepped formation. The 9 sections on the E side have smooth stone imposts. Continuous plain plinth, capped in stone on the E half. On the NE and SW embankments are sloping abutments in blue brick. Each has deep rectangular buttresses linked by deep arched recesses which terminate as niches. Long sloping elevations finished by short brick piers.

Listing NGR: TL1410013442

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163612
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/09983/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Mary Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].