- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103030 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Jun-2019 at 19:25:28.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- St. Albans (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 13634 07286
2. Part of Guardianship Monument. The 3rd largest city and only municipium of Roman Britain, quarried by local builders until the C19. Much has been carefully excavated and covered up again to form playing fields. Mosaic floors and other works of art are displayed in the Museum. The parts now visible are sections of the city wall and gateways, and a mosaic floor, with hypocaust below, covered by a modern building in the centre of the fields. RCHN, VCH, NMR.
The individual parts where masonry is visible are listed as follows:
TL 1306 NW 11/29A 8.5.50
Fragment of wall at West of City at Verulamium.
TL 1306 NW 11/29B 8.5.50.
Fragment of wall at South West of City at verulamium.
TL 1306 NE 12/29C 8.5.50
Fragment of wall including Tower at Southern point at Verulamium.
TL 1306 NE 12/29D 8.5.50.
Long stretch of wall incorporating Tower and remains of Gateway along Southern Boundary at Verulamium.
TL 1306 NE 12/29E 8.5.50.
Fragment of wall on Eastern boundary at Verulamium.
TL 1306 NE 12/29F 8.5.50. I
Part of Roman House with mosaic floor and hypocaust, protected by modern building at Verulamium.
VERULAMIUM 1. 1582
TL1307 SE 7/29G
2. Corner of building which was in Forum of Roman City.
Listing NGR: TL1363407286
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914)
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing