This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER UNITARIAN CHAPEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER UNITARIAN CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1103040

Location

FORMER UNITARIAN CHAPEL, LOWER DAGNALL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 163491

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:- LOWER DAGNALL STREET TL 1407 SE (South Side) Former Unitarian Chapel, 9/56 also know as old Presbyterian Chapel.

GV II

The description shall be amended to read:-

1697. Brick, cement rendered and colour-washed. hipped tiled roof. 2 storeys, 3 casement windows with glazing bars. Eaves cornice. Surround to doorway on left. An important early Non- conformist chapel, associated with prominent Presbyterians and Unitarians during the 18th century. The chapel was formerly the premises of Samuel Ryder (from the mid 1890's to 1903), whose penny-packet seed business operated from here until it moved to Holywell Hill, where in 1911 he built new offices (No 27 qv). Graded for group value. The former Chapel forms part of a group with Nos 3-11 (odd) and nos 13 and 15.

------------------------------------ 1. LOWER DAGNALL STREET 1582 (South Side)

Former Unitarian Chapel, also known as Old Presbyterian Chapel

TL 1407 SE 9/56

II

2. 1697. Brick, cement rendered and colour-washed. Hipped tiled roof. 2 storeys. 3 casement windows with glazing bars. Eaves cornice. Surround to doorway on left. An important early Nonconformist chapel, associated with prominent Presbyterians and Unitarians during the 16th century. Graded for group value.

The former Chapel forms part of a group with Nos 3-11 (odd) and Nos 13 and 15.

Listing NGR: TL1454807276

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 14548 07276

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103040 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 04:52:36.

End of official listing