107, ST PETER'S STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1103049
Date first listed:
08-May-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Aug-1971
Statutory Address:
107, ST PETER'S STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 107, ST PETER'S STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103049 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 21:30:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
107, ST PETER'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
St. Albans (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 14962 07654

Details

ST PETER'S STREET 1. (West Side) 1582 No 107 (Formerly listed as the Electricity House) TL 1407 NE 4/24 8.5.50.

II* GV

2. Early C18 house of 3 storeys, 4 windows. High pitched, tiled roof with dormers. Brown brick with red and grey brick dressings, including panels of header courses. Wide, brick pilasters, with plain entablature, support moulded brick cornice at 2nd floor level. Smaller pilasters support narrow cornice above 2nd floor. Brick parapet with stone coping above, curving down in the centre. Brick plinth with traces of former basement windows. Gauged, flat, brick arches with white keystones to sash windows with glazing bars in near-flush, box frames. Carved wood doorcase with attached, Tuscan columns supporting frieze of alternate triglyphs and trophies with pediment over. 3 steps to modern door set in deep reveals of fielded panelling. Inside, a wide staircase with turned balusters and cut string. Panelled dado to staircase wall. The house was built by Edward Strong (chief mason under Sir Christopher Wren at St Paul's Cathedral) for his own use. VCH NMR 2-storey modern extensions at either side. Nos 97 to 107 (odd) form a group.

Listing NGR: TL1496207654

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163421
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/01898/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Fletcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].