FORECOURT WALL AND GATEWAY TO PEMBERTON ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103050
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1971
Statutory Address:
FORECOURT WALL AND GATEWAY TO PEMBERTON ALMSHOUSES, ST PETER'S STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORECOURT WALL AND GATEWAY TO PEMBERTON ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103050 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 03:11:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORECOURT WALL AND GATEWAY TO PEMBERTON ALMSHOUSES, ST PETER'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
St. Albans (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 15001 07698

Details

ST PETER'S STREET 1. (West Side) 1582 Forecourt wall and gateway to Pemberton Almshouses TL 1407 NE 4/23 TL 1507 NW 5/23

II

2. Forecourt wall and tall, brick gateway with pointed head with small brick plinths at sides and centre, those at sides empty, that in centre having iron arrow-head pointing upwards. Round-arched door opening and stone panel above with inscription: "These 6 Almshouses were erected and endowed with Five Pounds Per Annum Each. Out of the Manor of Shelton in Bedfordshire by Roger Pemberton of St Albans Esquire, who was buried in the Church of St Peter November 20th 1627." RCHM page 194: VCH page 473.

Listing NGR: TL1500107698

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163423
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 473
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/01898/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Fletcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].