TOWN HALL CHAMBERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103070
Date first listed:
08-May-1950
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL CHAMBERS, 31-37a, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL CHAMBERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103070 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2019 at 04:01:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL CHAMBERS, 31-37a, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
St. Albans (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 14724 07262

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/09/2018

TL 1407 SE; 9/88

MARKET PLACE (West Side), Nos. 31 to 37a (odd) (Town Hall Chambers)

(Formerly listed as Nos. 31 to 37 (odd) Market Place)

08.05.50.

II

All one house of earlier C18. Two storeys and attic, six windows. The high-pitched, tiled roof, which rises in the centre, has two square-headed dormers. Blue and red brick walls, part panelled and part diapered, and brick parapet. Gauged, flat red brick arches and red brick jambs to renewed sash windows in near-flush, moulded frames. Modern shop fronts on ground floor, but entrance to no. 35 has doorcase with open pediment with modillioned and dentil cornice over modified Doric order with similarly enriched cornice and fluted necking to attached columns. Fluted cornice head and patterned fanlight to door.

Listing NGR: TL1472407262

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163373
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09885/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Neil Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].