This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 3, 5 AND 7, FRENCH ROW

List entry Number: 1103116



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jun-2001

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 163281

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1582/9/75 Nos. 3,5 and 7



C14 or early C15 range of buildings with considerable C17 addition at rear. 2-storeys and attic under high pitched, tiled roof with 2 cross gables at ends, projecting forward from walls. Deeply overhanging lst floor supported on arched brackets. Left gable has attic and lst floor window over carriageway, the carriageway having close studding to right, and more open studding on raised ground cill to left. Central 2- storey section with almost continuous glazing on lst floor. Right gable has one lst floor window in slightly projecting box frame. All the windows replaced casements. Small shop fronts on ground floor. C17 house, adjoining at rear, has high pitched, hipped, swept, tiled roof, eaves cornice with square medallions and overhanging lst floor, supported at rear on grotesque carved bracket over fluted pilasters. Windows have transoms but modern glazing. In the inner wall of the rear building is a stone fireplace with Tudor arch suggesting a preceding building on the site. Long, gabled rear extension to rear of right bay. Nos. 3 and 5 occupy the ground floor, No.7 the upper floors, with access via door to left of No.9. No.7 also extends into the upper storey of No.9. RCHM VCH NMR Nos 1 to 7 (odd) and No 9 form a group.

Listing NGR: TL1464907173

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914)
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 14649 07173


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103116 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 04:08:40.

End of official listing