Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103201.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2021 at 17:43:50.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 11968 26220


LILLEY WEST STREET TL 1126 (East side)

11/75 No. 55 - - II

House. Late C15/early C16 hall range, late C16/early C17 N wing when stack and floor inserted in hall, C18 single-storey S kitchen extension, a post office in C19. Timber frame on brick sill exposed only on N end, roughcast with steep old red tile roofs. A long 2-storeys and cellar house facing W set back from road with higher 2-storeys N crosswing jettied along its N side. Formerly an open hall with a storied S service end extending over the cross-passage (E doorway in use) and parlour bay at N. Converted to lobby entrance when parlour bay filled by massive internal chimney and N parlour wing added. Large chimney added against jettied N side of wing to serve narrow rear room c.1700, then or later a smithy. W front has gabled wing at N, 3 windows to each floor. Flush 3-lights casement windows small to 1st floor under the eaves, larger to ground floor. Battened door opposite chimney, 3-light casement to each floor of crosswing. Very large S gable chimney to kitchen extension and longer single storey extension set back. Purlin roof and heavy wallplates to kitchen. Jettied N side of crosswing close-studded on ground floor with 3-lights ovolo-moulded window. Bull-nosed joists and similar blocked window to 1st floor with more widely spaced studs. Curved braces mark the 2 bays of crosswing. Large N side chimney in English-bond red brick with crow-steps surviving on E side. Squint-butted scarf in bressumer. Clasped purlin roof with wind-braces to hall range. Intermediate truss 1M from S end of original building. (RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL1196826220


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Nov 2003
Reference: IOE01/11160/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].