THE BULL PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103206
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1988
Statutory Address:
THE BULL PUBLIC HOUSE, 28, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BULL PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103206 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 13:52:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE BULL PUBLIC HOUSE, 28, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Offley
National Grid Reference:
TL 14254 27017

Details

OFFLEY HIGH STREET TL 1427 (West side) Great Offley

12/92 No. 28 - (The Bull Public House)

- II

House, now a public house. Circa 1700, N-W wing and stable early C19. Red brick in Flemish-bond with random blue bricks, front roughcast, S end painted. Stable and NW wing dark weatherboarded. Steep old red tile roofs. A 2-cells, 2 storeys and attics, end chimneys and central entrance plan house, set back from road and facing E. Front has gable parapets with raking brick courses under fancy C19 ridge tiles, a flat-topped dormer on roofslope, 3 2-lights casement windows to 1st floor, 2 3-light transomed casement windows to ground floor and plat-band stepping up over central door. Small gabled roughcast and tiled porch. Internal gable chimney each end, larger at S, with shallow vertical recess between square shafts. Single-storey gabled extension to N end set back and slated lean-to to rear. 2-storeys 2 windows wide NW rear wing with internal chimneys at each gable and lower small stable at W end. Interior has 2 rooms to main range with entrance into S end of N room. Axial chamfered beams with ogee stops, stair rising in S room and surviving original fireplace there with canted rear corners.

Listing NGR: TL1425427017

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163102
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04749/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gary C. Churchman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].