WALLS AND IRON GATES OF WALLED GARDEN AT OFFLEY PLACE TO NORTH WEST OF HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103208
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1988
Statutory Address:
WALLS AND IRON GATES OF WALLED GARDEN AT OFFLEY PLACE TO NORTH WEST OF HOUSE, KINGS WALDEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALLS AND IRON GATES OF WALLED GARDEN AT OFFLEY PLACE TO NORTH WEST OF HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103208 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 09:35:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALLS AND IRON GATES OF WALLED GARDEN AT OFFLEY PLACE TO NORTH WEST OF HOUSE, KINGS WALDEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Offley
National Grid Reference:
TL 14472 27054

Details

OFFLEY KINGS WALDEN ROAD TL 1427 & TL 1426 (East side) Great Offley

12/97 & 13/97 Walls and iron gates - of walled garden at Offley Place to NW of house

GV II

Walls and gates to walled garden. C18 or early C19, gates c.1777 former chancel screen from parish church. Red brick in Flemish-bond, wrought iron gates. Walls forming a large polygonal enclosure, about 3M high on S but about 4M high alongside road on W. S side has pilasters to W part but large buttresses with 2 offsets, to E part. Moulded brick coping. Iron screen and double gates in S wall near E end. Gothick pattern with side panels, overthrow with scrolled cresting to each part with quatrefoils. Elaborate similar bottom panels with lozenge and quatrefoil shapes in lock rails. Clustered columns as standards for hanging gates with scrolled stays to ground behind. Detail similar to remaining altar rail in church (q.v.). (Pevsner (1977)265).

Listing NGR: TL1447227054

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163107
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 265

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Nov 2003
Reference: IOE01/11160/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].