THE CLOCK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103231
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1988
Statutory Address:
THE CLOCK HOUSE, TURNPIKE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CLOCK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103231 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 00:20:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CLOCK HOUSE, TURNPIKE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Ickleford
National Grid Reference:
TL 18211 31509

Details

ICKLEFORD TURNPIKE LANE TL 1831 (South side)

10/53 The Clock House - GV II

Stable block to former Ickleford Manor and low stable range to E on roadside linking to 2-storeys gatehouse, now a house. C17 gatehouse and stable, C18 or early C19 stable block with clock dated '1819'. Timber frame gatehouse and stable roughcast, stuccoed brick stable block, steep old red tile roofs, that of stable block hipped with cupola, and hipped gatehouse roof. A group of 3 elements along roadside facing into courtyard. The largest, a 1/1/2-storeys former stable block, rectangular with N gable to road and main front on E. 3 flush sash windows with 8/8 panes and 2 box dormers at eaves with 4/8 panes. Square central clock stage carries a clock face and square cupola above with 4 columns and a vane. Lower extensions on W side. Single-storey former stable to E extends to 2-storeys, 2-bays gatehouse with dovecote on upper floor on side to courtyard. Jowled posts and frame exposed in carriageway. Part of a picturesque courtyard group.

Listing NGR: TL1821131509

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163063
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09702/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].