WYATT TEMPLE AT WEST END OF FIRST CROSS-AXIS IN GARDENS AT THE BURY AT GRID REFERENCE TL 1870 2192

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1103244

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: WYATT TEMPLE AT WEST END OF FIRST CROSS-AXIS IN GARDENS AT THE BURY AT GRID REFERENCE TL 1870 2192

Map

Ordnance survey map of WYATT TEMPLE AT WEST END OF FIRST CROSS-AXIS IN GARDENS AT THE BURY AT GRID REFERENCE TL 1870 2192
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103244 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 18:13:42.

Location

Statutory Address: WYATT TEMPLE AT WEST END OF FIRST CROSS-AXIS IN GARDENS AT THE BURY AT GRID REFERENCE TL 1870 2192

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: St. Paul's Walden

National Grid Reference: TL 18700 21920

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1821 ST PAUL'S WALDEN ST PAUL'S WALDEN BURY

12/200 Wyatt Temple at west end of 1st cross- axis in gardens at The Bury at Grid Ref 27.5.68 TL 1870 2192 (formerly listed as The Gardens at St Paul's Walden Bury) GV II

Garden temple. 1775 by James Wyatt for John Conyers, originally erected at Copped Hall, Essex, moved here c.1950. Moulded stone plinth and steps, wooden order, stuccoed brick rear part, domed moulded plaster ceiling, lead ribbed dome with finial. An Ionic temple with seat in circular interior facing E, approached by 3 steps. Rear part a hemicycle recess in a stuccoed solid rear part. Semi-circular front has fluted timber columns with enriched base mouldings, angular volutes, and entablature with dentilled cornice and swelled frieze, breaking outward at sides over columns. Plaster sauce-dome with radial moulded ribs, scallops in a wavy outer band, and elaborate acanthus roundel with central pendant. Radial paving pattern of black and white stone with large St. John's cross in centre.

Listing NGR: TL1870021920

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162993

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

End of official listing