This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MEDIEVAL CROSS BASE AT HEXTON MANOR (4M TO NW OF PORCH)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MEDIEVAL CROSS BASE AT HEXTON MANOR (4M TO NW OF PORCH)

List entry Number: 1103254

Location

MEDIEVAL CROSS BASE AT HEXTON MANOR (4M TO NW OF PORCH)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hexton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1985

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Oct-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 163020

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEXTON HEXTON TL 1030 (East side)

8/10 Medieval Cross Base - at Hexton Manor (4M to NW of porch)

GV II

Base of former Standing Cross. Probably that of a Palm Cross set up in the churchyard following a bequest in a will of 1524, but presumably removed in later C16, and base recovered and placed in present position probably when school built near church in 1846 for Madame de Lautour, Lady of the Manor. Hard limestone freestone. A single square block noted by the RCHM c.1909 as being 2ft 3inches square and eleven inches high. A square socket central for the crossshaft. The top is octagonal with a bold edge-roll, the transition to the square shaped bottom is by a convex topped stop at each corner. A cross is mentioned as standing by the town house door in a late C16 account of the parish by Francis Taverner (B.M. Add M.S. 6223: VCH (1908)352: RCHM (1911)116: inf Mrs. Ashley Cooper).

Listing NGR: TL1080330503

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 352
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 10803 30503

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103254 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2017 at 05:04:56.

End of official listing