VILLAGERS PUMP AT JUNCTION OF VILLAGE STREET WITH BARTON ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103255
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1988
Statutory Address:
VILLAGERS PUMP AT JUNCTION OF VILLAGE STREET WITH BARTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of VILLAGERS PUMP AT JUNCTION OF VILLAGE STREET WITH BARTON ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103255 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 18:06:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
VILLAGERS PUMP AT JUNCTION OF VILLAGE STREET WITH BARTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Hexton
National Grid Reference:
TL 10630 30340

Details

HEXTON HEXTON TL 1030 8/11 Villagers Pump at - junction of village street with Barton Road

GV II

Village pump with integral signpost (disused) and added lamp and direction indicating arms. On plate affixed above spout 'ERECTED/APRIL 1846/BY CAROLINE YOUNG/DE LAUTOUR/FOR THE USE OF/HEXTON/VILLAGERS'. On plate below the spout 'FREEMAN ROE/ENGINEERS/70 STRAND/LONDON'. Hexagonal platform with post at each corner probably c.1908, re-opened for use 1934, now disused. Pump and corner posts cast iron, painted white. Handle wrought iron. Blue brick bull-nosed edging to platform and steps on N. A tall octagonal Gothick iron pump with octagonal base-plate, high moulded base, moulded octagonal shaft, tapered octagonal finial supporting a small 4-armed cross-shaped signpost with a C20 street lantern fixed centrally on top. About 3M overall height. Direction arms fixed by straps at finial level. Panelled sides to pump with trefoil heads. On E face a large single spout with 2 rings and a bucket spur. Long S-shaped iron handle on N face with openwork thistle finial. (Branch Johnson (1970)168).

Listing NGR: TL1063030340

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163021
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04792/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Thomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].