POSTING BOX BUILT INTO FRONT WALL OF NUMBER 1 IVY COTTAGES (POST OFFICE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103256
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1988
Statutory Address:
POSTING BOX BUILT INTO FRONT WALL OF NUMBER 1 IVY COTTAGES (POST OFFICE)

Map

Ordnance survey map of POSTING BOX BUILT INTO FRONT WALL OF NUMBER 1 IVY COTTAGES (POST OFFICE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103256 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 03:02:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
POSTING BOX BUILT INTO FRONT WALL OF NUMBER 1 IVY COTTAGES (POST OFFICE)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Hexton
National Grid Reference:
TL 10631 30629

Details

HEXTON HEXTON TL 1030 (West side)

8/14 Posting box built into - front wall of No. 1 Ivy Cottages (Post Office)

- II

Posting box. Set up 1860, the earliest in Hertfordshire, moved to present position 1922 from wall of the Manor Lodge. Cast iron painted red. The front is a narrow rectangular upright panel 30 inches x 10 inches. Flat pedimented top: hood below with 'POST OFFICE' in raised letters: small postal aperture below hood with metal flap and on lower rim 'LETTER BOX'. Door below divided into 3 horizontal panels: top one carries the royal Cypher 'V R' with crown and the words 'CLEARED AT': the middle panel is blank for impermanent pasted or painted notices of the time(s) of clearing: the bottom panel contains the keyhole and lock. There is a large plain panel to the box below the door, and on the bottom rim the makers' name, 'SMITH AND HAWKES BIRMINGHAM'. Wall boxes were introduced in 1857. (Branch Johnson (1970)135,168: Ashley Cooper (1982)32).

Listing NGR: TL1063130629

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163024
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 135,168
Other
Cooper, Ashley , (1982)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04792/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Thomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].