This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE TUN HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE TUN HOUSE

List entry Number: 1103258

Location

THE TUN HOUSE, 16A, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: St. Paul's Walden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162928

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1821 ST PAUL'S WALDEN HIGH STREET (North side)

Whitwell 12/136 No.16a (The Tun House) 27.5.68

GV II

House. Circa 1700 for Wellingham family of tanners, NE infill wing dated 1748, bay window on W and other alteration c.1898 when large extension built to N (now No. 16). Red and blue brick, steep old red tile roof and wooden eaves cornice. A 2-storeys and attics, L-shaped house facing E, later altered to a compact square block with U-shaped hipped roof open to N. The entrance appears to have been in the middle of the S front originally where there is now a window. E end has moulded gable parapet and external gable chimney. Original cross-window remains in middle of W front over door with iron casement and rectangular leaded glazing with name 'Ann Wellingham' cut in one quarry. Lower sills to replacement flush box sash windows with 6/6 panes. W side has 2 segmental headed dormers, wood modillion eaves cornice, 3 windows to 1st floor, plat-band, central 6-panel oak door, canted bay on left and one window to right. S front similar with 3 dormers and 3 windows to each floor. Interior has lobby entry on E beside a large internal stack, chamfered axial beams with ogee stops, 2 salt cupboards, bolection moulded door, broad staircase with closed string with turned balusters and square newels, 2-panels bolection moulded door into IL-hinges, alcove in SE room with fluted pilasters, arched head and shaped shelves. Butt-purlin roof structure with principals curving down at foot to frame into floor structure. 1898 separate N part not of special interest. (Morris (1980)30).

Listing NGR: TL1873721010

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 18737 21010

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103258 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2017 at 04:57:48.

End of official listing