OLD BREWERY THE BREW HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1103262

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Statutory Address: OLD BREWERY, 22, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE BREW HOUSE, 24, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD BREWERY
THE BREW HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103262 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 22:06:28.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD BREWERY, 22, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE BREW HOUSE, 24, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: St. Paul's Walden

National Grid Reference: TL 18660 21043

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1821 ST PAUL'S WALDEN HIGH STREET (North side) Whitwell

12/140 Nos. 22 (Old Brewery), 27.5.68 and 24 (The Brew House)

GV II

House, now 2 houses. Early C17, renovated early C18 ('1702' carved on beam), top storey and brick front c.1800 when extended to E and divided. Timber frame roughcast, with sandy red brick front, low red brick extension to E and white weatherboarded C20 rear extension. Slate roofs, hipped on house. A 3-cells, lobby-entry, E crosswing plan house facing S, with extra lobby taken out of E side of middle room when E wing extended and divided off as a separate house. Formal brick S front with 3-storeys and moulded cornice below parapet. 3 windows wide. Recessed sash windows with rubbed flat arches and 4/4 panes to 2nd floor, 8/8 panes to 1st floor, and triple sashes at each end of front, 8/8 sash in middle, and 2 re-used early C18 (? 1702) pedimented doorcases to the 6-panel flush-bead doors. Eared architraves and swelled frieze. Large internal chimney a third from W end has 4 diagonally set square shafts concealed by heightening of house. Chamfered axial beam with bar-stop. E extension was used as a straw plait school in the C19. (RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL1866021043

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 162932

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing