This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD VILLAGE HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD VILLAGE HALL

List entry Number: 1103263

Location

THE OLD VILLAGE HALL, 38, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: St. Paul's Walden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Feb-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162934

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 1821 ST PAUL'S WALDEN HIGH STREET (North side) Whitwell

12/142 No. 38 27.5.68 (The Old Village Hall also formerly listed as The Old Cottage)

GV II

House, sometime the village hall. C17. Altered in C18 and C19. Timber frame exposed on upper floor with plastered panels, red brick to ground floor, and steep old red tile roof. A 1½-storeys house, set below road level, facing S. 3 structural bays, the E bay narrower with 3 instead of 4 panels. Large external W gable chimney and smaller and later internal E gable chimney. Front has 2 old gabled dormer at the eaves with their gable triangles projecting to shelter the window with shaped brackets at the ends. 3-lights lattice leaded casements. In brick ground floor 2 4-lights lattice leaded casements, metal opening lights and external shutters. Framing of front has convex curved tension braces. (RCHM (1911)197).

Listing NGR: TL1857021096

Selected Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 18570 21096

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103263 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:26:45.

End of official listing