HOO END

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103271
Date first listed:
09-Jun-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
HOO END

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOO END
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103271 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 09:37:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOO END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
St. Paul's Walden
National Grid Reference:
TL 18014 19897

Details

TL 11 NE ST PAUL'S WALDEN HOO END

7/165 Hoo End (formerly listed as Leggats 9.6.52 End of Hoo end Grange)

GV II

Manor house of Leggats or Howenden, now a private house. Early C15 open hall house with E crosswing probably for John Whethamsted, Abbot of St Albans, before 1440. C16 W wing replacing earlier service end. Chimney and floor inserted in hall in early C17 with large mullioned and transomed dormer window to chamber over hall. Small dormer in middle may have lit staircase beside chimney. Mid C18 small single-storey front extension to hall with corner fireplace probably a counting house. General alterations to present appearance mid C19. Timber frame roughcast with painted brick casing to ground floor. Steep old red tile roofs. A large H-roofed house facing N with gabled wings to ends and 3 gabled dormers to hall range between. Projecting gabled porch beside W wing into end of hall with pedimented doorcase and eared surround. Transomed casement bay windows, mostly renewed in C19. Brick former well-house attached at SW corner. Interior has C17 scratch-moulded panelling in hall, decorative pattern of tension braces exposed on 1st floor of E wing and remains of former collar-purlin roof, crown-post removed. Hall range roof contemporary with crown-post braced down to tie-beam. End collar-purlin of hall halved where it meets rafter of wing roof. Doorway with 4-centred head at W end of hall range and W wing has blocked 2-lights N window with shutter groove. Clasped-purlin roof. Ovolo moulded dormer window over hall. Cellar in W wing probably C17. Previously called Leggatts End or Hoo End Grange. (RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL1805519749

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
162957
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].