TRAFALGAR COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103273
Date first listed:
08-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
TRAFALGAR COTTAGE, 16, HORN HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRAFALGAR COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103273 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 13:14:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
TRAFALGAR COTTAGE, 16, HORN HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
St. Paul's Walden
National Grid Reference:
TL 18241 21093

Details

TL 1821 ST PAUL'S WALDEN HORN HILL (West side) Whitwell

12/170 No. 16 (Trafalgar Cottage)

GV II

House. Circa 1815. 'TRAFALGAR/COTTAGE' on stone plaque over door. Red brick, hipped slate roof, plastered wide eaves soffit. A 2-storeys and cellar, double-pile plan, end-chimneys and central entrance house facing E. Symmetrical 3 windows wide E front with plat band and rubbed flat arches to windows. Recessed sash windows with 6/6 panes, small cast iron railings to 1st floor, cellar arch below LH window and round arched doorway with divided 2 panelled door and fanlight over. Twin sashes to 1st floor under single arch between chimney projections on S side. Small 2-storeys original closet projecting at rear N corner. Elegant original interior with front and rear drawing rooms on S side (sliding doors as shutters to rear bay) and dining room and kitchen on N side. Wide hall from front to rear with single cut-string stair. Double-hung panelled shutters generally. Built on retirement of an officer who was with the fleet at Cape Trafalgar, with 2 servants blocks up the hill (q.v.).

Listing NGR: TL1824121093

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
162962
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/04975/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ron Walker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].