This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1103349



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: East Riding of Yorkshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Brantingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164761

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BRANTINGHAM SE 92 NW 5/4 War Memorial and screen wall - II War memorial. 1922. For Sir John and Lady Sherburn. Constructed from reclaimed material after the demolition c1914 of Cuthbert Brodrick's Hull Town Hall of 1862. Chiefly white limestone with some fine red sandstone and polished red granite. Memorial: raised square plinth with 2 polished granite cartouches in scrolled ornament to each side. Above, 4 stumpy Composite columns enclosing a panelled limestone block: one side supports a bronze plaque on which are recorded the names of fourteen young men. Moulded cornice carrying the stepped base to a short Composite column: this column and the 4 beneath carry polygonal, tapering, finials. Screen wall: panelled dwarf wall with rosettes and granite bull's eyes punctuated by concrete pilasters carrying tapering columns set end to end to form a massive rail. Polygonal end abutments under tapering polygonal finials. Pevsner describes this memorial as "one of the most lovably awful things in the East Riding", Pevsner N, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, p 196.

Listing NGR: SE9399429384

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 1 February 2017.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 196
War Memorials Online, accessed 1 February 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 1 February 2017 from

National Grid Reference: SE 93994 29384


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103349 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 11:27:42.

End of official listing