GATES, WALL AND RAILINGS TO BARCROFT JUNIOR SCHOOL ALONG BARCROFT STREET FRONTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1103473

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1988

Statutory Address: GATES, WALL AND RAILINGS TO BARCROFT JUNIOR SCHOOL ALONG BARCROFT STREET FRONTAGE, BARCROFT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATES, WALL AND RAILINGS TO BARCROFT JUNIOR SCHOOL ALONG BARCROFT STREET FRONTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103473 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 15:10:40.

Location

Statutory Address: GATES, WALL AND RAILINGS TO BARCROFT JUNIOR SCHOOL ALONG BARCROFT STREET FRONTAGE, BARCROFT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TA 29049 09842

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 2909 NW CLEETHORPES BARCROFT STREET (east side)

4/5 Gates, wall and railings to Barcroft Junior School along Barcroft Street frontage

GV II

Gates, wall and railings. 1896 by Croft and Bentley of Grimsby, architects, and Henry Marrows, builder, for Cleethorpes School Board. C20 gate to right. Wall of red brick in Flemish bond with sandstone ashlar dressings; wrought iron railings. Pairs of double gates to former Girls' School to left, and former Infants' School to right, flanked by walls and railings with gateways to each end. Square-section piers with ashlar bands for upper hinge mounts, moulded ashlar cornices and coping with semi-circular faces to each side. Both main entrances have double gates with dog bars and ornate Arts and Crafts-style scrolled designs, and single rear buttress walls to left piers with scrolled bars, finials and octagonal principals with ball finials. Half-height walls to left and right with moulded ashlar coping [concrete replacement to left) and railings with plain bars and panels with- scrolled lyre motifs, some with raking struts to rear buttresses. Double board gates to left, CaO steel gate to right. For historical notes and references see Item no 4/4.

Listing NGR: TA2904909842

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 164445

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hill, E W, Barcroft County School, (1956), 1-36

End of official listing