CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1103508

Date first listed: 12-Aug-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103508 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 11:48:08.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere (District Authority)

Parish: Shenley

National Grid Reference: TL 19022 00399

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 10 SE SHENLEY LONDON ROAD (Northeast side) Shenley

3/269 Church of - St. Martin

- II

Parish Church. 1841 by S.Staples for Rev. T.Newcome, Rector of Shenley. Red brick, stone dressings, slate roofs. Gothic chapel. 4 bay unaisled nave, short low chancel, W porch, SW bell turret, NE vestry. Tall nave windows: 2 pointed lights each with hollow chamfered mullions set in a square head, chamfered surrounds, stone hood moulds with carved stops. 2 stage buttresses with stone offsets, diagonal to E angles. Upper door to gallery to NW. Plinth. Boxed eaves. Small lights in gable ends of nave. Dentilled brick courses below gable parapets with cross finials. E window: 4 lights with 4 centred arched head. Vestry: pointed heads to doors to W and N, a slit window and a casement. Gable parapets. Gabled W porch: pointed arched entrances, stone hood mould with carved stops. Chamfered slit openings to sides. Stone coped parapet. Above porch square W window, now blocked with a hood mould. Octagonal 3 stage turret, stone courses between stages. Pointed openings to each side in belfry stage. Interior: pointed chancel arch, chamfered with capitals and bases to responds, stopped hood mould to nave. Gallery to W, now organ loft with panelled front, on 4 cast iron colonnettes. Nave roof, decorative queen post with open panels in spandrels. Chancel roof, decorative arched braced collar beam. Glass from Church of St. Botolph (q.v.). E window, 2 central windows in nave S wall and E window in nave N wall all c.1850-60. E window in nave S wall is by Morris and Co., 1907. Also from St. Botolph's: Royal Arms of George III painted on canvas and brasses to R.Allway and Family, d.1621. (Colvin 1978).

Listing NGR: TL1902200399

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 164324

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)

End of official listing