Orchard Mead

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103540
Date first listed:
12-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
Orchard Mead, Ridge, Potters Bar, EN6 3LH

Map

Ordnance survey map of Orchard Mead
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103540 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 17:06:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
Orchard Mead, Ridge, Potters Bar, EN6 3LH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Hertsmere (District Authority)
Parish:
Ridge
National Grid Reference:
TL 21389 00333

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/07/2018

TL 20 SW 4/247

RIDGE Orchard Mead

(Formerly listed as Orchard Mead, CROSS OAKS LANE)

GV II Formerly five almshouses, now a house. 1844 by Sir G.G.Scott and W.B.Moffatt for Miss J.Trotter of Dyrham Park, Potters Bar (q.v.). Knapped flint facing on clunch walls with red brick dressings. Tiled roof. One storey. Five bay front. Single entrance and two flanking windows in slightly projecting gabled centre bay. Four centred arched head to door with chamfered brick surround.

Dedicatory plaque with inscription,'1844/These almshouses/were erected/in accordance with the wish of/Miss Jean Trotter/of/Dyrham Park' in gable which has brick parapet and kneelers.

All windows are two light casements with. chamfered and quoined brick surrounds. Brick plinth and cornice. Four tall cross axial ridge stacks with diagonal shafts: two at gable ends single shafts, two flanking central bay paired shafts on hexagonal bases. Gable end brick parapets. Mid C20 extensions to gable ends and to rear.

Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: TL2138900333

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164301
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04284/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Douglas Fairbank. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].