HIGH CANONS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103546
Date first listed:
12-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
HIGH CANONS

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGH CANONS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103546 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 09:18:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
HIGH CANONS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Hertsmere (District Authority)
Parish:
Shenley
National Grid Reference:
TQ 20825 99072

Details

TQ 29 NW SHENLEY HIGH CANONS Well End

8/262 High Canons -

- II

Country House. c,1800, extended 1806 and later, altered C20. Brick, stuccoed and whitewashed. Slate hipped roofs. Nearly rectangular half H with arms later extended. 2 storeys. 5 bay front: large ground floor tetrastyle prostyle Tuscan porch with round headed windows and pilasters to returns. Architrave to round headed entrance. Pilaster strips flank central bays on first floor. Architraved glazing bar sashes, taller on ground floor. Plinth. Continuous mutuled cornice and coped parapet. Small step back from central 3 bays. 2 cross axial stacks. Right return: 5 bays, glazing bar sashes with gauged brick flat arched heads. Relieving arches form a blind arcade with an impost band on ground floor. Cross axial stack to left of centre. Left return or garden front: 4 bays. Ground floor: projecting Tuscan loggia, octastyle in antis, French windows. First floor glazing bar sashes. Triple stack with single base and cornice to centre front. 2 slightly later and lower extensions to rear. 3 bays each. To left a repositioned verandah with a coved roof on cast-iron colonnettes within which 2 recesses with pilastered jambs. Glazing bar sashes with ground floor central French window. Triple stacks as on main block. Further conservatory extension. Stables attached to right extension with segmental arch over carriage entrance. Interior: C20 remodelling.

Listing NGR: TQ2082599072

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164317
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16357/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K W Newland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].