DANCERS HILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1103562

Date first listed: 20-May-1949

Statutory Address: DANCERS HILL HOUSE, DANCERS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DANCERS HILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103562 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 22:29:29.

Location

Statutory Address: DANCERS HILL HOUSE, DANCERS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere (District Authority)

Parish: South Mimms

National Grid Reference: TQ 23508 99378

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 29 NW POTTERS BAR DANCERS LANE (East side) Dancers Hill

8/200 Dancers Hill House 20.5.49

- II

Large house. c.1750-60. Altered c.1820. Extended and remodelled c.1860 and after. Built for Charles Ross. Stuccoed brick, slate roof. Elongated Palladian villa. 3 storeys to original entrance front. Original 5 bays, 1:3:1, slightly projecting central feature. Ground floor: open triple arcade, groin vault. Principal floor: attached Roman Doric order. Pilaster strips continue emphasis of centre through cornice to parapet. 2 bays added to right, 5 to left. Glazing bar sashes throughout. False window, right of centre on 2nd floor. Early C18 ovolo moulded thick glazing bars on ground floor to right and first floor to left of central bays. Plat band between 2 lower storeys. Continuous timber modillion eaves cornice below parapet. Four cross axial stacks and left end stack. Right return wall has a French window in an aedicular surround. Garden front: 8 bays, 2 storeys, basement banked up in early C19. 3 bays to centre of original villa project slightly under pediment. Glazing bar sashes. Panelled door to right with side and top lights. Far right 3 bays set back with ground floor lean-to conservatory in front. Interior: saloon on principal floor behind triple arcade which probably led to an open loggia behind original portico. To left timber pergola link to brick stores cottage with hipped slate roof. 2 storeys. Dentilled brick courses. Later extensions. C18 grounds laid out with avenue to N. (VCH Middlesex 1976)

Listing NGR: TQ2350899378

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 164253

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cockburn, J S, King, H P F, McDonnell, K G T, The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, (1976)

End of official listing