DYRHAM PARK COUNTRY CLUB AND STABLE BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103564
Date first listed:
20-May-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
DYRHAM PARK COUNTRY CLUB AND STABLE BLOCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of DYRHAM PARK COUNTRY CLUB AND STABLE BLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103564 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 02:55:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
DYRHAM PARK COUNTRY CLUB AND STABLE BLOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Hertsmere (District Authority)
Parish:
South Mimms
National Grid Reference:
TQ 22470 98491

Details

TQ 29 NW POTTERS BAR DYRHAM PARK Barnet

8/204 Dyrham Park 20.5.49 Country Club and Stable Block (formerly listed as Dyrham Park under General)

- II

Country House, now Country Club. c.1800-10 rebuilding of earlier house, extended. Extensively remodelled early C20 for John Trotter. Stuccoed brick, slate hipped roof. Large Neo-classical villa. 2 storeys and attic. Main front: 7 bays 2:3:2. Heavy tetrastyle Tuscan portico to centre with oculus in deep eaved projecting pediment. Pilasters where portico meets front wall. Continuous plinth. Central entrance: glazed door with scrolled brackets. Dentils and mutules to architrave. Ground floor glazing bar sashes and first floor casements in deep reveals with moulded architraves. Continuous plat band at first floor sill level. Guttae protrude below plat band. Shallow pitch to deep eaved roof. Cement rendered stacks. Left return: 9 bays, central 3 bays project slightly under similar pediment. Ground floor French windows with 3 glazing bar sashes to right. Similar architraves but no guttae. Garden front: 7 bays with full height semi-circular 3 bay bow window to centre. Cast-iron balcony to left hand first floor window. To right from front: 5 bay painted brick extension of same height, set back slightly. 16-pane glazing bar sashes under rubbed brick heads. Hood over central entrance with panelled door. 5 sashed dormers with cambered tops. Deep eaves to front, coped parapet to right. Two further single storey extensions to right, that to front of painted brick with sashes and a hood over an entrance bay. Linked to these extensions is the C19 stable block, also brick and slate roofed. Inner yard has round arched openings. Deep eaves and low pitch to roof similar to house. 3 cubic roof lights. Wing to N has been converted and stuccoed. Interior: Entrance hall to central staircase hall of c.1830-40 with a passage to left and dog-leg stair at far end. Upper level of hall has Ionic pilasters with a gallery over passage to left. Early to mid C18 secondary stair at front to right of entrance with turned balusters and moulded and ramped handrail. (VCH Middlesex 1976, RCHM Typescript, Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ2247098491

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164257
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cockburn, J S, King, H P F, McDonnell, K G T, The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, (1976)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02145/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sam Klok. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].