OAKMERE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1103568

Date first listed: 12-Aug-1985

Statutory Address: OAKMERE HOUSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OAKMERE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103568 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 20:34:42.

Location

Statutory Address: OAKMERE HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 26258 01359

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 20 SE POTTERS BAR HIGH STREET (East side) Potters Bar

5/215 Oakmere House -

- II

House, now in community use. 1840, altered 1860's, extended and altered later. Stuccoed red and stock brick, slate roof. Neo-classical. 2 storeys. Front: projecting wings flank 3 bay centre. Ground floor sashes and central entrance, all round-headed, set in a Tuscan distyle portico in antis. First floor set back, larger central window with lugged architrave and keystone block, window to right blocked. Single bay wings have pedimental gables and sashes. Continuous ground floor banded rustication. String course at first floor sill level. Continuous modillioned cornice. Parapet. Left return external stack. Right return large projecting bay with pedimental gable. Ground floor glazed distyle portico in antis with banded ornament on columns, egg and dart on capitals and dentilled cornice. First floor windows similar to centre front. To rear 2 storey canted bay and entrance with scroll brackets and keystone block to architrave. To left and set well back a long 2 storey extension with 4 ground floor glazing bar sashes, architraves to first floor windows. Further addition to far left with entrance in aedicular surround. C20 extensions to rear left. Interior: entrance hall to staircase hall. Ornate wrought-iron balusters to open well stair and on first floor gallery. Skylight with plasterwork surround. Lakes in grounds, now a park, to S and E. (Pevsner 1977: VCH Middlesex 1976).

Listing NGR: TL2625801359

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 164268

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cockburn, J S, King, H P F, McDonnell, K G T, The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, (1976)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

End of official listing