Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1103578

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1985



Ordnance survey map of HAYDON HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103578 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 12:38:26.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 12858 94943


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ 19 SW BUSHEY MERRYHILL ROAD (South side) Bushey

10/141 Haydon Hill 12.2.85 GV II

Large house, used as old people's home. 1841-3 by Decimus Burton for F.G.Fonnereau. Extended c.1890 for R.P.Attenborough. Yellow brick, stone dressings, slate roofs. Asymmetrical Picturesque villa with Italianate tower. Entrance front: 2 storeys, 6 bays. Plinth. Projecting timber mutule eaves. Hipped roof. Multiple stacks with grouped octagonal shafts. Central bay with entrance on diagonally extruded corner, 6 panelled door and rectangular fanlight with later stained glass under a cast-iron Tuscan porch with a heavy cornice and parapet. 3 left bays set well back have glazing bar sashes with stone sills and rubbed brick heads, round-headed on first floor. To right of entrance and projecting slightly further forward one bay with tall staircase window on first floor. To far right and yet further forward, tower with tall round headed windows, 3 on ground floor, 2 on first floor. Right return has extruded stack with 3 octagonal based and capped shafts. To far left a small link to a 3 bay extension in similar materials, slightly lower ridge, rectangular shafts. Garden front: to left tallest tower: 3 storeys, 3 ground floor, 1 first floor, 2 second floor windows. Rusticated voussoirs to first floor round headed windows. Octagonally shafted stacks on hipped roof with deep eaves. Ground floor lean-to extension to left with entrance flanked by pilasters. Main block is 2 storeys, 3 bays. At 45 degrees a further 3 bay link to c.1890 block. Ground floor verandah, Tuscan colonnade under raking leaded roof turns angle and links tower to left with c.1890 block to right which is of grey brick with orange sandstone dressings. Tall plinth. 2 ground floor aedicular windows flank extruded chimney breast. Relief of boar with inscription. First floor window in breast under pediment and balustraded parapet. 4 shafts similar to earlier block. Right return has semi-octagonal full height bay with mullion and transom window and balustraded parapet. To rear rainwater heads with initials RPA and LMA flank canted bay and upper 6 light ribbon window with stained glass. To rear of earlier yellow brick extension and hidden by later extension is a brick niche holding a statue of a king. Interior: original staircase to right of entrance. Hall in c.1890 block, chimneypiece with bas-reliefs and Attenborough initials. House built on a prominent site, formerly that of Dr. T.Monro's cottage orné. (Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ1285894943


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 164190

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

End of official listing