This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1103595

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, HIGH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164126

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 19 SW BUSHEY HIGH ROAD (Northeast side) Bushey Heath

10/78 Church of St. Peter -

GV II

Parish Church. Originally 1836-8. Chancel rebuilt 1891 by J.Neale and the rest 1911 by G.H.Fellowes Prynne. Extended 1921. Rock-faced Kentish ragstone. Ashlar quoins and dressings. Tiled roofs. Gothic Revival Style: Early English chancel, Flamboyant nave and tower. A large church with a 5-bay nave and aisles, double transepts, 2-bay chancel, organ bay, vestry, SE chapel, W baptistery and prominent SW tower. W end: large 5-light window with curvilinear tracery over octagonal baptistery of 1921. 2-stage buttresses with pointed heads. Plinth, string courses, coped gable parapet. 12-light aisle windows to W. 3 stage tower, paired slits below a segmental headed 2-light window. Upper belfry stage with pointed heads to openings, flanking traceried blind lancets. Clasping buttresses chamfered at upper stage. Decorative corbelling below moulded cornice to crenellated parapet with octagonal corners. Main entrance to S in tower: 4 centred arched headed double doors with elaborate iron hinges, moulded and chamfered jambs. Shallow porch: timber with carved tracery and caryatids on a stone base, hipped roof. Above porch a statue in a canopied niche with flanking traceried lancets. At SE angle of tower is a semi-octagonal stair turret with slit windows rising to second stage. S aisle has three 2-light windows with curvilinear tracery. 5 similar windows to N aisle. Buttresses with pointed heads. Quatrefoil lights in clerestoreys. Close eaves. Double gabled transepts with two 3-light windows. Entrances in angles with aisles. Coped parapet from nave and aisle roofs to lower chancel: E end, foundation stone below 5-light window, pointed head, geometrical tracery, straight buttresses, coped gable end parapet. To S: 2 lancets with trefoiled heads. Projecting gabled bay to W end of chancel S wall. Extending from E wall of S transept is Chapel of St. George, 1921, 2 bays of 3-light windows, trefoiled heads in square chamfered surrounds. Plain parapet. Apsidal E end, 2-light windows, straight buttresses. Gabled vestry to SE organ bay and 1-storey vestry to NE. Interior: 5-bay N arcade and 4-bay S arcade: octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases and low relief ornament to chamfered and moulded pointed arches, shafts with angel caryatids rise from arcades to ceiled roof. Pointed, moulded chancel arch with shafts in responds. Blank triple arcades to N and S chancel walls. Sedilia and piscina to E with foiled heads in pointed arch. Large relieving arch to N. 2 broad arches to organ bay to N. Blocked arch at E end of S aisle. Blank triple arcade to S wall to entrance to chapel. Altar frontal c.1891, 5 canopied panels with figures in beaten brass. W window by H.Holiday 1917-18. E window, Crucifixion, by Kemp. (VCH 1923: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ1454894433

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1923)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TQ 14548 94433

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103595 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2017 at 07:26:52.

End of official listing