CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1103601

Date first listed: 12-Aug-1985

Statutory Address: CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103601 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 23:35:21.

Location

Statutory Address: CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 13504 95196

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 1395 BUSHEY HIGH STREET (Northeast side) Bushey

13/98 Congregational Church -

- II

Chapel. 1904 by P.Morley-Horder. Red brick with stone dressings. Slate roof. Free Gothic Style. 5-bay hall with tower. Gable to front with 3 stage square tower to left and 2 storey entrance block to right. Entrance in tower with a moulded 4-centred arch. Stone bands. Lower stage with 3 light windows, pointed heads to each light, square hood moulds, diagonal buttresses. Second stage has paired louvred openings. Upper stage with 4-light cross windows, cusped heads to each light. Parapet with merlons rising from clasping buttresses at angles, central embrasures. Coped gable to front has a large window with a pointed head and rectilinear tracery. Two 2 light square headed ground floor windows. Stone plinth. 2 buttresses and a 2-light window to projecting entrance block to right which has a 4-centred head over an entrance with a 3-light window above. Coped parapet. Diagonal buttress. 5-bay return elevations, each with 3 large windows with pointed heads and intersecting tracery. Twin gables over 2 bays towards rear. Towards front smaller windows with square heads. Projecting vestry to rear left. Interior: pseudo hammer beam roof with arched braces, quatrefoils in spandrels. Vestibule below gallery at front end, gallery has canted ends and trefoil headed pierced panels to front. Pointed moulded arch to canted apse end. Flanking doors to vestrys have stone moulded 4-centred arched surrounds. Original seating. (Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ1350495196

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 164146

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

End of official listing