EDGE GROVE SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1103617
Date first listed:
12-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
EDGE GROVE SCHOOL, HIGH CROSS

Map

Ordnance survey map of EDGE GROVE SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103617 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 23:13:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
EDGE GROVE SCHOOL, HIGH CROSS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Hertsmere (District Authority)
Parish:
Aldenham
National Grid Reference:
TQ 14452 98894

Details

TQ 19 NW ALDENHAM HIGH CROSS (West side) Aldenham

6/30 Edge Grove School -

- II

Former large house, now school. Early to mid C18 for J.Skey. Extended and altered c.1800, mid C19 and c.1910. Red brick, roughcast. Slate hipped roof. 3 storeys, originally 5 windows. Ground floor extended forward: glazed tetrastyle Ionic porch with flanking sashes in reveals. First floor sashes with blind boxes, that to centre with Ionic pilaster jambs. Smaller 2nd floor windows. Giant pilasters at return angles. Modillion bracketed deep boxed eaves. End stacks. c.1800 3 bay single storey wings added, raised to 2 storeys c.1910: projecting forward, sprocketed eaves, rectangular bay to right. Left return: first floor weatherboarding with timber balustrades and fluted pilasters. To rear: mid C19 full height canted bay, simple doorcase, first floor balconettes. c.1910 1 and 2 storey additions to rear, hipped and gabled roofs, ornamental bargeboard. Interior: largely remodelled c.1910. Ionic entrance hall to top-lit staircase hall, wrought iron balusters to open well stair, octagonal drum. Panelled front rooms and first floor ballroom. 1 storey link to right to C20 buildings not of special interest. (VCH 1923: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TQ1445298894

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164077
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1923)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/03248/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr V. M. Geduld. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].