This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHRIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1103631

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, WATLING STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Aldenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164114

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 19 NE ALDENHAM WATLING STREET (West side) Radlett

7/66 Christ Church -

- II

Church. 1864 by T.Smith and Son, extended 1907 by Oldrid Scott. Knapped flint with red and white brick and stone dressings. Slate roofs. Originally cruciform with S porch and SE tower, extended to N with second longer nave and chancel, N transept, NE organ bay and vestry. High Victorian polychrome Gothic with simpler Free Gothic extension. 6 bay nave with I-bay chancel. 7-bay nave and 3 bay chancel extension. S windows: plate tracery in pointed heads. 2 stage buttresses. Plinth. Red brick bands. White brick dentilled eaves. Gabled S porch, colonnettes in jambs of pointed arched entrance, stopped hood moulds. W window: 2 large pointed arches with plate tracery surmounted by a central pointed arch with an octafoil opening. Relief figures of Christ and an angel to centre. Foiled opening in gable. S transept: 3-light plate traceried window. 4-light E window with geometrical tracery. Coped gable end parapets with carved kneelers. Blue and green striped slates. Ridge tiles. 3-stage tower with door to S with colonnettes in jambs of pointed arch. Single light and gargoyle in 2nd stage. Double openings in belfry stage above a string course. Nailhead eaves cornice. Broached spire with lucarnes at base. Semi-circular stair turret to E rising 2 stages with slit openings. 1907 extension: flint, sparingly dressed in stone. Nave windows: 3-lights with trefoiled heads under broader pointed arches. Plinth. Stone band at sill level. Stone blocks below eaves. 2-stage buttresses, diagonal at W end and SE. Delicately traceried 4-light W window above stone band. To S: entrance in 1 bay extending beyond earlier nave has a pointed arched head, ovolo moulded surround with an inner traceried hollow moulding. N transept: 3-lights with geometrical tracery. Stone quoins to W return. To E taller and further projecting organ bay with stone quoins to E, similar fenestration. 1-storey flat roofed vestry to NE with an entrance and two 2-light windows. E window of 3 lights and 2-light windows to N and S of chancel with tracery as at W end. Semi-octagon at meeting of 2 chancels. Coped gable parapets with kneelers. Interior: 1864 church has a pointed chancel arch with short richly carved responds. Scissor brace roof to nave and transept. Chancel roof ceiled with painted decoration. Double arcade to later church, ornament as on chancel arch. 1860's glass to E, W and S. 1907 nave arcade with alternate octagonal and round piers, with moulded caps and bases, roll moulded pointed arches. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders with decorative bosses. Nave roof ceiled. Chancel roof ceiled with central pointed barrel vault flanked by coved sides with tie beams across. N transept glass is of 1860's and repositioned. Elsewhere C20 glass. Choir stalls of 1909. (Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ1655099254

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TQ 16550 99254

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103631 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 11:08:43.

End of official listing