CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1103677

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103677 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 07:39:28.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Barnetby Le Wold

National Grid Reference: TA 06152 09074

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARNETBY LE WOLD CHURCH HILL TA 00 NE (south side, off) 9/3 Church of Saint Mary 17/8 6/11/67 - I Parish church, declared redundant 1972. Late Cll nave, Cll - C12 tower, C13 tower arch, north arcade and chancel; C17 and C18 alterations, including demolition of north aisle, new chancel east window. C19 alterations include insertion of nave gallery and gallery window in 1829, and replacement of south porch with buttresses. C20 rendering and repairs. Ironstone, chalk and limestone ashlar and rubble, red and yellow brick, partly cement- rendered to nave and tower; limestone and ironstone ashlar dressings. Slate roof to nave, pantile roof to chancel. West tower, 3-bay nave and 3-bay chancel. 2-stage tower: plinth, quoins, round-arched west doorway with later keystone, small west lancet, moulded string-course. Small round- headed belfry openings to west and south, square-headed opening to north. Nave: quoins to south. North side much patched, portions of 2 arcade arches visible; C15 3-light segmental arched window with Perpendicular tracery, 2 plain wooden mullioned 3-light windows. South side: 2 plain buttresses flanking round-headed gallery window with raised keystone and imposts, narrow round-headed Cll window with monolithic lintel bearing carved lion in relief, large C16 - C17 square-headed south-east window with 4 crudely pointed and trefoiled lights. Chancel: quoins, sill string-course, chamfered plinth to north. Lancet, blocked pointed door and twin lancet to south, round-headed east window with re-used moulded ashlar sill and chamfered jambs, brick arch with ashlar key and imposts. Red brick gable with tumbled-in yellow brick, upper section rendered. Interior. Pointed double-chamfered tower arch, partly obscured by gallery, with chamfered jambs, plain chamfered imposts and inner order on corbels. Nave: blocked round-headed door to south; blocked arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on filleted quatrefoil piers with plain moulded capitals and octagonal bases, the respond with plain chamfered jambs and inner orders on moulded and carved corbels, much weathered. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with inner order on large filleted shaft to south with plain moulded capital, and plain moulded corbel to north (perhaps a capital to a former narrower shaft). Flanking chancel arch at east end of nave are a pair of re-set chamfered stones (perhaps former imposts) with palmette ornament. Chancel: blocked south door, roll-moulded jambs to twin lancet and east window; ovolo-moulded timber tie-beam with cyma stops, inscribed R K 1664; later 5-bay coupled rafter oak roof with pairs of pegged collars. Beams in tower dated 1610. Late C18 - early C19 nave roof. Nave has raked west gallery supported on pair of wooden columns, with fielded-panelling, moulded rail and dated plaque to front. Chancel rails made from former C15 oak rood-screen, 2 bays flanking central opening: moulded posts to outside with plain capitals, and 2 pairs of truncated shafted posts linked by section of plain and moulded rails. Broken ashlar mensa slab at east end. Late C18 - early C19 octagonal painted wood panelled pulpit with moulded cornice. Marble back-plate of C17 - C18 wall tablet and base of font in nave. Carved stone infants coffin in tower. Church vested in Redundant Churches Fund. Disused and windows in disrepair at time of resurvey. The very fine Romanesque lead font from the church is now at Scunthorpe Museum. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 178; drawing by C Nattes, c1795, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: TA0615009074

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 165905

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989)

End of official listing